Performing simple preventative maintenance on your vehicle will go a long way toward protecting your vehicle investment. National car care month in April is the perfect time of year to give your car some extra attention. Follow a vehicle service schedule and perform the most common routine maintenance procedures to keep your car performing at it's best.
- Check all fluids, including engine oil, power steering, brake and transmission as well as windshield washer solvent and anitfreeze/coolant.
- Check the brake system annually and have the brake linings, rotors and drums inspected at each oil change.
- Check the tires, including tire pressure and tread. Uneven wear indicates a need for wheel alignment. Tires should also be checked for bulges and bald spots.
- Check the hoses and belts to make sure they are not cracked, brittle, frayed, loose or showing signs of excessive wear.
- Check the heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) system as proper heating and cooling performance is critical for interior comfort and safety reasons, such as defrosting.
- Check the wipers and lighting so that you can see and be seen. Check that all interior and exterior lighting is working properly and replace worn wiper blades so you can see clearly when driving during precipitation.